These shortbread bars have an irresistible crisp cookie bottom with a subtle hint of sweet, aromatic clove. The topping is quick and requires no additional baking. The result is a gooey toffee nut topping with a deep maple flavor. These bars are the perfect to finish off a meal as an accompaniment with a strong hot cup of coffee. Sweet, sticky, buttery and absolutely divine! The flavors intensify even more after a day or two making them a sought after leftover.
Ingredients for Shortbread
½ cup Organic Valley® butter, at room temperature
1¼ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Line with parchment paper allowing a two inch overhang on two sides. Butter the lining (not overhang).
- Whisk together flour, salt, and ground cloves.
- Put ½ cup butter, and ¼ cup brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan and chill 30 minutes or overnight.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until shortbread is a pale golden color and set in the middle.
Ingredients for Walnut Topping
9 tablespoons Organic Valley® butter
2 cups walnut halves
1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons maple sugar
¼ heaping teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
¼ cup + 1½ teaspoons Organic Valley® heavy cream or evaporated milk
- Place butter and walnuts in a medium sized saucepan, cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until nuts are fragrant. This will take 3-4 minutes and you will also see the butter become foamy.
- Add maple syrup, sugar, salt, corn syrup and cream.
- Boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Spread over the shortbread crust and let completely cool.
- Lift shortbread out of dish using the parchment overhang.
- Cut into sixteen 2 inch squares.
- Cool and serve or store in an airtight container up to 3 days. Bars also freeze well for up to one month.